Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All my bags are packed...


1:30 in the morning... is anyone surprised? I was delusional to think I could pack for a cross-global move with two checked bags, a carry-on, and a laptop case. I did manage to cull some of the things I figured I'd take and shoehorn it all into three checked bags that will test how strict the weight limit is on the two airlines I'll be flying to get to Kuala Lumpur.

So my house of ten years has been emptied, repaired as necessary, and cleaned (mostly by my longsuffering mother) and duly leased out for the next year. So as of now, I'm homeless, and in about 17 hours, I'll be boarding a Southwest flight to Los Angeles, where I'll pick up a very late-night flight on Cathay Pacific, fly about 15 hours to Hong Kong, then change planes and fly the final 3.5 hours or so down to Kuala Lumpur, hereafter called KL. As you read in this blog, feel free to add comments or ask questions using the link at the bottom of each entry.

For a quick and dirty primer on KL, read here.

In the photo: Malaysia's iconic Petronas Towers, at nearly 1,500 feet high, the tallest buildings in the world from the time of their construction in 1998 until eclipsed by Taipei 101 in 2004, in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. The towers are still the tallest twin towers in the world. I took this photo during my visit in March 2008.

I'll write more later, probably while I'm languishing in LAX, the crappiest major airport in this country. So begins the next great adventure!

1 comment:

oracle_dba said...

Thanks Chad for the wonderful blog, it will help me a lot , i may join KL in a month or two, the blog information help me to prepare proactively for my international assignment.